Monday, June 21, 2010

Just Do It My Way, Everything Will Be Fine

First birthday, first day of school, sweet sixteen, high school graduation, college graduation, engagement, wedding, all milestone moments. Days that people will say, “This is the most important day of your life!” I have never looked at any one day as being more important than any other. There is a pattern to life that we all follow and for the most part, we will all have moments that meet at least a few of the aforementioned criteria. For me, the most important day of my life was the day my daughter was born. I was responsible for creating an actual human. Surreal.
I am six years into this motherhood thing. Still trying to work out exactly what it’s all about. What exactly is my role as “Mom”? Sure, I understand, love, protect, teach. I am raising a future citizen of humanity after all. Becoming part of the Mom Club initiated me into something that I had no idea existed pre-conception. The Alpha Woman Society. The A-list mom. Superwoman. Women who work full time, climbing the corporate ladder but still have time to make cupcakes for PTA events. Women whose children and home are always perfectly accessorized and neat. Women who set up play dates at Starbucks to discuss how they know the secret to having the smartest, most psychologically well adjusted kid who will grow up to be the richest most successful whatever they want to be. Of course, working moms aren’t the only piece of the puzzle. Let us please not forget the women who stay at home with their children. They are also just super, aren’t they. Looking down their noses at the working women, tsk tsking at how sad it is for those poor kids who must be shipped off to daycare everyday while mommy brings home the bacon. How awful for those children who do not have the opportunity to participate in all the enriching activities that are only available between the hours of 8 and 5, M-F. How neglected and sad. These poor children who will grow up into damaged adults unable to fully trust and love due to the neglectful behavior of their selfish mothers.
You know what I think? Lucky for you, I am going to spend this week telling you. Aren’t you so excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment