Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blog Pimping

As it turns out, in writing my Mommy Manifesto, as promised yesterday, I was struck with the sense that I am perhaps bitter, cynical and misguided. Then, I blinked and I was all like "pshaw". Wanting, no needing, to make sure that what I write is more than a rant, I have decided to really get to the heart of the matter, the meat and potatoes of what's irking me. This will inevitably take more preparation that I had originally allotted time for, and so instead of my personal thoughts regarding the demise of mommy hood and child rearing I will instead give you my opinion on something else that is irking me.

I am very much over the blog community and their give-a-ways. I did not subscribe to your blog so that can try to sell me on someone else's blog via their crafty nature and/or superior design awesomeness. What exactly are YOU getting out of this relationship? Free stuff? A chance to increase your readership? I don't want free crap. I certainly don't want to have to visit six blogs and leave six different comments all the hope of winning a Silhouette cutting machine. I want to connect with like minded people who will in turn introduce me to like minded people. Right now, like minded people include those who are blatantly disgusted by advertisers in general pumping our heads with what's hot and new and what we can't live without.

If you make stuff, and you want to sell it, and you want to use your blog as a platform to do so. AWESOME! I like to see people create and I like to see people prosper from their creations. There is an authenticity to someone who tells the story behind their creations. However, blog land is not PR land, stop trying to turn it into the capitalist machine you greedy, sidebar ad selling, Mr. Linky blogging people.
You know what I do appreciate? People who share with the community. Not because they want to increase their readership or make some money, but because they genuinely want to share how to make and create. I give mad Kudos to those people. I like to feel like a community, not like a potential customer.

What was that I was saying about being bitter and cynical earlier?  Oh, nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment