Friday, August 8, 2008

Things I Stole From the Mormons - Day 1

Family Home Evening, or FHE as those Morms refer to it, is, and I quote, "A special time set aside each week that brings family members together and strengthens their love for each other, helps them draw closer to Heavenly Father, and encourages them to live righteously."

As we all know from yesterday's post, I am not going to get jiggy with drawing closer to the Heavenly Father or living righteously for that matter, but I will set aside one night a week that is completely and totally devoted to family and teaching little E some things about the world and how it works.

While the Morms quote scripture and pray in addition to their pre-planned family activity of the evening, we simply turn of the TV and do something together. Go for a walk, ride bikes, have a clam bake at the beach (hey, it's technically our home). Not only does it promote family togetherness, it also gets everyone talking and interacting. Communication baby.

This idea extends beyond immediate family. If you happen to live within 5 miles of your parents, cousins, in-laws, invite everyone over. Oh, you don't have any family at all you say? Well, that really sucks and I'm sorry for that but you can still have FHE, Friends Home Evening. The things you can talk about over dinner with friends in the comfort of you own home are endless. At least they are in my house. There are things I would say in my own home, with my people, that I wouldn't dare say in public, fear of persecution and all that. I have a big mouth and crazy opinions, but I stray from the topic at hand.

Ideas

Geocaching

Yard relay race

Gardening

Bike riding

Seashell collecting

Or, if you aren't a giant nerd like me

Dinner with family and or friends to discuss the current status of America and Americans.

Wait, that's nerdy too.

Listen, I never said I was cool.



This concludes day one of my Mormon theft log.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment