Saturday, June 2, 2007

I'm Getting Too Old to Go to the Movies

Tonight, we flocked with the masses to see Pirates of the Caribbean, third installment. I happen to love these movies, which stems from an early childhood fascination with the ride at Disneyland. The movie was about 55 minutes too long, but that aside, I was never bored.

Although never bored, I was made painfully aware of my journey into becoming a grumpy old woman. Sitting behind us were two, oh, let's say 12 year olds. Sitting in front of us were two, I will garner a guess, 10 year olds. Neither party with parental supervision. The 12 year olds I could understand, the 10 year olds, I was a little perplexed.

Before the feature had even begun I knew the two sitting behind us were going to be a problem what with their incessant giggling and voracious gum smacking. They even played a round of who can pop their gum the loudest, which I endured until well into the previews. 10 minutes into the movie, another round of gum popping and I had to get up to get the manager, who removed the offending gum smackers from the movie. Ahh, a sigh of relief.

I sat back to enjoy the movie and popcorn which had set us back about 40 bucks (two people, two drinks, one popcorn) when I noticed the kids in front of us had a video camera. They were recording the film. I was actually quite surprised at this since first, they were girls and second they were TEN!

I couldn't see these two girls pirating a movie (about pirates, ha ha) for distribution over the Net, at least not at their own prodding. The best I can imagine is they wanted to look at Orlando Bloom one more time before drifting off to sleep later that evening.

I took it upon myself to lean forward and whisper to the girl that what she was doing is a felony and she could indeed be ruining her life for a few stolen moments with Mr. Bloom and Mr. Depp. Do you know what she said to me?

"Fuck off bitch, your ruining the sound."

Once again, I was off to the manager who removed these offending girls. I have to wonder what will happen to them. A slap on the wrist? Do you think charges will be filed against them? Who knows.

All I know is this. The world ain't what it used to be, many odd years ago. Now I am going to go make sure my burial plot and will are up to date. I can't believe I am getting to be such an old fuddy duddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment